Physical water filters—the kind you pump water through—are popular because they’re reliable and easy to use. But they’ve always had a major drawback: the inability to catch viruses, which is especially a problem if you travel overseas. They’re so small they pass right through the filter mechanism. Purifiers, on the other hand, which do catch viruses, tend to clean water very slowly.
The MSR Guardian represents a quantum leap forward in the world of water filtration. For this new device, MSR developed a hollow fiber structure that’s ten-times smaller than previous iterations so that it catches viruses but still lets users clean a respectable 2.5 liters of water per-minute. The filter is also bombproof—built from a heavy-duty plastic that withstands 300 pounds of force.
We’ve been testing a Guardian for months and think it’s hands-down the best filter on the market right now. It’s easy to use and robust. To make sure it functioned as promised, we filtered raw sewage waste, which was crawling with viruses. The result: shockingly clean, drinkable water.
Of course, you’ll pay for this premium tech. The Guardian costs up to three times as much as other filters. But take heart that its self-cleaning system (it runs clean water back through the filter while you pump) Nothing is safer or easier to use for purifying the most demanding backcountry water sources than the Guardian purifier. Originally designed for military squads, it brings this highly advanced technology to global travelers, backcountry users, and those stocking emergency kits. Fast and easy to use, this pump purifier offers the added viral protection you need when traveling in developing nations and popular wilderness areas. Its advanced hollow fiber filter offers the most reliable way to purify even filthy water conditions. Add its long-lasting performance and revolutionary self-cleaning ease, and this may be the only treatment device you’ll ever need.
- Ultimate Protection: Meets NSF protocol P248, testing standard used by U.S. military, for removal of viruses, bacteria, protozoa, and sediment from “worst-case” water conditions.
- Fast & Easy: Pumps a rapid 2.5 liters per minute, offering added viral protection without the need for chemicals, bulbs, batteries, or waiting.
- Self-Cleaning: Pump self-cleans on every stroke, providing consistently fast flow rates with zero hassle—no backflushing or filter-scrubbing ever required.
- Long-Lasting: Leading-edge hollow fiber cartridge treats up to 10,000+ liters.
- Extremely Durable: Engineered to withstand heavy use, freezing, drops*, and harsh environments.*Withstands MSR water lab drop testing: 6 ft. to concrete.